How the Zero Waste Box™ System Works
The Zero Waste Box™ system is the all-in-one recycling solution from TerraCycle® that can be used by everyone to recycle everything.
The Zero Waste Box system is a perfect option for any home, school, or business looking to have a positive impact and reduce their waste being sent to landfill.
- Find out which Zero Waste Box system is right for you with this short quiz.
- Find out how to assemble and set up your Zero Waste Box.
How it works
Order - Select a Zero Waste Box and place your order.
Collect - Collect the accepted items to fill the box.
Ship - Send it back to TerraCycle! Boxes ship free with a prepaid return label.
Reorder - Order your next Zero Waste Box to continue to recycle everything.
What happens when we receive your Zero Waste Box?
How we recycle
Everything collected through the Zero Waste Box system is sorted and processed into raw materials that can be reused instead of being sent to landfill. Read below to learn how different types of materials are recycled.
- PLASTICS: Plastics are separated by number, melted down, and turned into pellets that can be moulded and extruded to produce new products.
- METALS: Metals are separated by type and smelted into ingots for reuse.
- GLASS: Glass is cleaned and sorted by colour for processing. It is then crushed and melted to be used in new glass products.
- ORGANICS: Organics are composted or used in industrial and commercial fertilisers.
- FIBERS: Fibers will be hydropulped to separate out wax or plastic coatings. The separated fiber will be recycled into new paper products, or composted if recycling is not possible. Any resulting plastics will be recycled into plastic polymers.
- FABRICS: Textiles are sorted by type and are recycled, upcycled, or reused as appropriate. Textiles of mixed fibers are converted to energy. Natural fiber textiles (cotton) are turned into a "shoddy" or insulation. Synthetic fiber textiles (polyester) are pelletized and made into new plastic products.
- ELECTRONICS: Electronics collected for recycling, also known as e-waste, are mechanically and manually separated into metals and plastics. Salvageable materials are refurbished and reused. All data is wiped, but we advise restoring your device to factory settings before sending it in.
- CIGARETTES: Cigarettes are shredded and separated into plastics, papers, and organics.
TerraCycle Australia Zero Waste Boxes are also proudly Made in Australia and are FSC certified to ensure the cardboard is sustainably sourced.
Want to learn more? Sign up for exclusive offers